I made these lower-calorie, lower-fat chocolate cupcakes with fluffy white frosting during the snowstorm we got this week. I was planning on blogging that day about SAHMs going back to work. But since my kids couldn’t go to school, I was unexpectedly a SAHM myself that day and had zero time to write anything. So? Cupcakes. And they turned out so good, I had to share.
My girls love to bake cupcakes and my waistline can’t handle full-fat cupcakes with buttercream frosting on a regular basis. So I found a recipe for chocolate sour cream cupcakes and they are happily soooo gooooood.
Then I found a fluffy white frosting recipe after a lot of searching. I always hesitate to make fluffy white frosting because it almost always has uncooked egg whites in it. This frosting recipe, though, has you boil the sugar and water together and pour it into the egg whites, thereby “cooking” the eggs. Or so someone claimed in the comments and I decided to believe.
Lighter Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup white whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used semi-sweet mini chocolate chips because that’s all I had)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place 15 muffin cup liners in muffin tin.
2. Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Sift mixture through sieve into a bowl; discard any lumps.
3. Add chocolate, butter, and cocoa to a large heatproof bowl, and pour 1/2 cup boiling water on top. Let sit 2 minutes, and whisk until smooth. Add sour cream, buttermilk, and eggs, whisking until well-combined. Add dry ingredients to wet.
4. Divide batter among liners; bake in middle of oven 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool. Frost cakes.
NOTE: I cooked mine for 15 minutes and any more time and they would have burned. My oven does tend to be hotter than average, but 5 minutes less is significant.
Fluffy White Frosting
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water, and cream of tartar. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar mixture while whipping constantly until stiff peaks form, about 7 to 10 minutes.
NOTE: I cut the frosting recipe in half for the cupcakes and it was more than enough.