There are plenty of blogs and news sites out there telling us moms that FRANKENSTORM IS COMING and we must prepare.
Yeah, you need water, food, batteries, flashlights, yadda yadda yadda. A disaster kit with the basic necessities for your family is an excellent idea, of course.
But what about you, mom? How are YOU going to survive days without power, school, and playgroups? How will you make it through being trapped in your home with your kids and your husband? How, in all that is holy, will you manage?
After living through a freak October snowstorm this time last year with two small children, I can tell you what you really need to survive days without power. And these things ain’t on any government preparedness list, so listen up.
1. Tylenol. Lots and lots of Tylenol to dull the pain of your children’s incessant whining.
2. A fully-charged iPhone and/or iPad to commiserate with other moms on Twitter and Facebook.
3. A bottle or five of wine. See #1.
4. Chocolate or sweet treats of your choice. Hide well from the kids.
5. A good set of earplugs to block out the ear-splitting noise of your neighbor’s generator when you are trying to sleep in your freezing-cold house. Also see: whining kids.
6. Red Bull or other energy drink – because you won’t be able to brew coffee (GASP!).
7. Do you still have some of those squeezie stress balls that companies love to give out? They’ll come in handy. Trust me.
8. A steamy novel you’ve been meaning to read when you have to surrender your iPhone to your kids to get them to Just. Be. QUIET. Which leads me to…
9. Protection. So you don’t have an unexpected new family member in nine months. (No heat, remember? Gotta stay warm!)
What would you add to the mom survival kit list?